Last updated on October 17, 2023
Beginner’s guide. How to play backgammon.
At Deluxe Backgammon we have put together a number of playing guides that will help you enjoy your quality backgammon set. We thought we would provide a single post with all of the backgammon playing guides in one place. These guides should be useful for beginners and intermediate players. If you have a premium backgammon set and you want to improve the standard of your play start with these guides.
All of our backgammon material has been created based on our playing experience and research. Where possible we will add links to quality external material to provide an alternative perspective.
- Backgammon Rules.
- How to play backgammon.
- How to move the checkers.
- Beginners FAQ.
- Udemy free online course: Learn How to Play Backgammon in No Time At All.
- Backgammon cheat sheet
- Is backgammon hard to learn?
- Backgammon rules – FAQ
- Simple backgammon rules – single page. Includes a single-page backgammon rules PDF document for download.
- Backgammon – more FAQ
- Scoring a backgammon match
- Common backgammon terminology
- Setup and rules FAQs.
- Backgammon, points to ponder
- How to play backgammon in 6 simple steps.
- How to play backgammon.
- How to start a game of backgammon.
- Opening moves.
- Replies to the opening moves.
- Playing backgammon without fear.
- The importance of the five points.
- Bearing off strategies.
- Backgammon blitz.
- Backgammon rules of thumb.
- Tips for beginners.
- The running game strategy.
- Backgammon basics: the pip count.
- The greatest myths of backgammon.
- Bearing off against a checker on the bar.
- Bearing off against checkers in your home board
- The holding game strategy
- Bearing off the last two checkers
- The back game strategy
- Entering from the bar
- Common beginners mistakes
- Backgammon opening moves, a simple list
- The priming game strategy
- Backgammon tip: where to leave blots
- The bar points
- Backgammon: a basic guide to slotting
- Backgammon – to hit or not to hit?
- Backgammon: splitting basics
- Advanced anchors
- Using defensive strategies in backgammon.
- Backgammon, the rule of 8.
- Backgammon, avoid leaving direct shots.
- Backgammon tips and tricks for beginners.
- The probability of entering from the bar.
- Backgammon, 3 simple tips for beginners
- Backgammon, the first player advantage.
- Backgammon making or securing points.
- A closer look at backgammon probability.
- Common mistakes.
- Intermediate tips.
- Flexibility or ‘creating your own luck’.
- Opening strategy.
- Doubling cube basics.
- Timing in backgammon.
- Making sacrifices for good positions.
- Backgammon – the six prime.
- How to use the doubling cube.
- Backgammon is the perfect blend of strategy and luck.
- How to pip count.
- Duplication in backgammon.
- Backgammon wastage.
- Psychology in backgammon.
- How to improve your backgammon game
- Backgammon playing styles
- Advanced backgammon strategies.
- Backgammon tactics: priming and slotting.
- Aggressive and defensive play.
- Priorities during the opening stages of play
- The importance of builders in backgammon.
- Backgammon: general principles for the opening replies.
- Backgammon Splitting vs slotting.
- Replies to the opening move using doubles.
- How to win at backgammon.
- Backgammon early game: securing a point or hitting?
- Backgammon chouette.
- Backgammon, the 2-1 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 3-1 opening roll. See the 5 best opening rolls below.
- Backgammon, the 3-2 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 4-1 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 4-2 opening roll. See the 5 best opening rolls below.
- Backgammon, the 4-3 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 5-1 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 5-2 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 5-3 opening roll. See the 5 best opening rolls below.
- Backgammon, the 5-4 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 6-1 opening roll. See the 5 best opening rolls below.
- Backgammon, the 6-2 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 6-3 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 6-4 opening roll.
- Backgammon, the 6-5 opening roll. Also covered in the 5 best opening rolls below.
- The 5 best opening rolls in backgammon (3-1, 4-2, 6-1, 5-3, 6-5).
Backgammon playing guides from Alexandra Llewellyn.
Please Contact us to request additional information or to request a specific guide.